Are you thinking of buying and installing your own stair lift? On the market of today on the Internet, the tendency is moving towards products friendly to the customer. Factories are developing and promoting products that a consumer or an owner of a typical house can install with the standard household tools in just a few hours. The first stage that all the stair lift factories require from the customer or the owner of a house before a product is made and delivered are measurements of the staircase. It is very easy to measure for your new stair lift. Very much your needs by making proper measurements to obtain properly made equipment.
Before you start to measure, take a general overall picture of the layout of your staircase and decide which side of the staircase the stair lift will be assembled above, as seen from the bottom. Typically, a stair lift can be installed on either side of the staircase. According to the particular use, Stair Lifts choose the best side where it will be easiest to obtain movement of the stair lift while avoiding all the obstacles with the top or bottom. The majority of the stair lifts go up to the tread of the staircase and not to the wall. So much so that a wall is not necessary for the majority of the designs of stair lifts. Be certain that you understand the factory design to ensure that this is the case. Now that you have decided upon which side of the staircase the stair lift will be assembled, follow the steps below to take suitable measurements. Always measure twice.
All Stair Lifts measurements should be recorded in inches
7 following measurements are required to determine if an application of a stair lift will function for your needs for mobility.
- Overall length – it is the MOST IMPORTANT measurement! This determines the length of the rail which you will be required for the stair lift. To obtain this measurement to the top of your staircases, continue your measurement tape until it extends on all treads from the staircase and the end measurement from the band to the landing at the bottom where the stage touches. How many inches is the landing lower than the top of the higher landing? Document this number.
- To supplement the staircase to the base of the staircase – to measure starting from the edge of the higher stage at the edge of the lower stage.
- Width – to measure the width of your staircase or wall to the width of wall or interior of the staircase. In most cases it will be wall to be wall.
- Lower release – if there is a wall or a door at the bottom stages, place the beginning of the measurement at the beginning of the reinforcement or wall or door and continue outside until you reach the bottom of your wall of stage. Note: This should be done if you have a wall (landing) or as well if it carries it to the top of the stages and to add a measurement and a mark of the number eight (8) which like “higher release”. Three last measurements (5, 6, and 7) will make it possible for the manufacturer to preset the angle of the seat of your stair lift at the factory.
- Rise in a STAGE – to measure the size of a staircase. It is the base of one thread to the next one.
- Tread of a STAGE – to measure the width of a stage. It is the area which you walk above. To measure from before the stage with the back of the stage.
- Diagonal of a STAGE – to measure the length starting from an edge of a stage at the end of the next one. Similar at stage 1 but instead of the whole length of staircase, to measure only the length between two stages.
Most stairlifts can hold approximately 400 – 500 pounds. In order to purchase the correct lift for the person’s needs, they will need to call a company that provides and installs the lifts. Each lift meets the specific needs of the house it will be installed in and of the person who will be using it.
The time required to install a stairlift will vary. If the house is equipped with a wide staircase and doesn’t need to be refurbished for the installation, the installation time will be shorter. Some staircases are narrow and will need to be widened for the lift to work properly. If you hire and purchase a stairlift from a professional company, and your staircase is of the proper width and design, installation should only take a few hours. Keep in mind that there may be a few alterations they will need to do which will cause the installation time to run somewhat longer.
The cost of a stair lift can be quite expensive depending on the type chosen and the alterations that need to be done. It can cost an estimated three thousand to ten thousand dollars (higher end models) for some lifts to be bought and installed, and unfortunately most insurance companies do not pay for this. Each individual case is different though, so it would be a good idea to check with any insurance policies you have including your health and homeowners insurance policy.